Our Current Location

Monday, August 29, 2011

Departure Eve



It is the evening of the night before. There is an eerie stillness in the air. I’m a little on edge, concerned about something we’ll leave behind that we cannot replace while on the road – such as passport!

Or, knowing Thomas, who does not have a license for a concealed carry, whether or not he stowed a flat-shooting rifle in one of the wheel wells so assure a venison feast once north of the 49th parallel.

Otherwise, everything is fine, although I’m staying away from coffee for the evening.

Thomas spent the day fine tuning what took me a month to cobble together. Anna and our youngest daughter Mary went grocery shopping, after which the three of them found the appropriate places throughout the camper for food, cooking supplies, toiletries, laptops, charging cell phone devices and sundry activities.

Thomas took particular care to mount his racing bicycle on the ladder on the rear end of the camper. He is optimistic enough to believe that we will all be on the road early enough each morning to insure that we arrive at our campsites an hour or two before dark so he can cycle in the last thirty miles while Anna and I set up camp.

We thought better of mounting the spare propane tank on a compartment mounted to the rear bumper and transferred it to the roof, where it will be strapped down with a ratchet tie-down, and then locked. There are certain friends we are visiting that we don’t entirely trust. Now we won’t have to worry about blowing up the camper by an 18-wheeler rear-ending us, or a moose mistaking us for a cow, but we will have to watch for low-slung bridges.

I’ve been told that on occasion I snore, so will be bringing along multiple sets of earplugs for those that complain.

I noticed Anna bought some exotic air-freshener and placed it by the sink. That’s like carrying a peashooter to drop an elephant.

The interior has been vacuumed, memory-foam mattresses added, interior windows cleaned, grey-water tank filled, exotic tablets dropped down the toilet (it reminds me of those reverse flushing airplane toilets that have ruined at least one flight), “camper only” toilet paper well stocked, additional towel hooks installed – I’d say we are good to go.

Will top off the tank in the morning, and then we are off!





4 comments:

  1. What's yer planned route, or have you posted it somewhere & I've missed it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The route north has been posted. The return trip - not so much. Check out the archived blog "detailed trip".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I signed in twice, Peter, but then you'll be thankful for a double-dose of my blessing as you progress into the hinterland, I'm sure. And yes, I agree with Rosalie, great idea to paint "Pat Robertson for Prez" on the camper! Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be sure you are stocked up on tp. We found out the hard way about having some on board when we we were in Ghana on a day trip when we saw an African man out in the boonies with two rolls of toilet paper. (God must have sent an angel to help us out otherwise who knows ... ??? We had prayed!) All I had with me was a 5000 cedie note. He wanted 8000 but he believed me when I told he all I had was 5000. Thus, we traveled to Akasomba dam (holding back the largest man-made lake in the world)and yup, nothing provided there! Add another package or two ... or be sorry.

    ReplyDelete