Our Current Location

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Dad's Latest Obsession

Well we haven't left the homestead yet, but I have to say that everything in, on, around, above, below, and beneath the camper/trailer has been meta-analyzed in every way possible, down to the number of pounds we are carrying (9 thousand and something). My inbox is full and overflowing with so many e-mails about this trip that I'm counting down the days we leave, just so I don't have to reply to any more e-mails about tracking devices, sleeping arrangements, bike mounting, miners lights, food, cooking, itineraries, blogs, gray water, grills, lawn chairs, tables, and - oh yes - arranging to meet to talk face-to-face to discuss all this and MORE!

I imagine that Franklin Geiser will bow down and offer a sacrifice to the gods of the road when our camper finally departs Wayne county and he won't be required to make any more technical/mechanical adjustments. In fact, I think P. Graham Dunn's labor will go way up in productivity, since it won't be spent on our camping trip any longer!

I know that taking a roadtrip to Alaska is a great privilege and a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I am grateful for this opportunity, and especially to my dad for making it possible. I'm even alright with my younger brother tagging along, just as long as he remembers his place (bottom of the food chain). I'm just a little bit skeptical about how well we will all get along when we're trapped together for 80 hours on the road. Hopefully we all come back alive. At least we're not planning to try to do anything stupid like go Into the Wild. That said, I'm sure there's plenty of unplanned stupidity that will happen. Make sure to check in here so you find out what it is.

7 comments:

  1. there better be something stupid happening or I'm going to stop reading the posts! How about a bear-hunting contest? Who can kill a bear the fastest using only a butterknife, duck-tape and stone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you really don't want us to come back alive, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Odds are not good that you all make it. Risk lies in the truck cab more than the rugged wilderness and wildlife...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're brave, Anna, really BRAVE! That said, have a grand excursion! I feel a book coming on. Take lots of photos (was a really good camera was on Peter's list?) and document the journey.
    ks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have Bear Spray to keep the bears from eating you when you go hiking?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes we do Wendell! John Schmid gave one to Thomas to bring along. Do you have any ground coffee beans you'd like to send along?!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sad is it that Bear Spray has been discussed numerous times, but this is the first time we've discussed coffee beans?? Somehow I think our priorities might be just a little bit distorted. I'm going shopping tomorrow, adding coffee to the list

    ReplyDelete